By Council Members Dear, Eristoff, Leffler and Miller; also Council Members McCaffrey, Albanese and Weiner
To amend the administrative code of the City of New York, in relation to regulating the operation of roller skates, in-line skates and skateboards.
Be it enacted by the Council as follows:
Section one. Title 19 of the administrative code of the city of New York is amended by adding thereto a new section 19-176.1 to read as follows:
19-176.1 Reckless operation of roller skates, in-line skates and skateboards prohibited. a. For purposes of this section:
(1) The term "in-line skate" shall mean a manufactured or assembled device consisting of an upper portion that is intended to be secured to a human foot, with a frame or chassis attached along the length of the bottom of such upper portion, with such frame or chassis holding two or more wheels that are longitudinally aligned and used to skate or glide, by means of human foot and leg power while having such device attached to each such foot or leg.
(2) The term "reckless operation" shall mean operating roller skates, in-line skates or a skateboard on a public street, highway or sidewalk in such a manner as to endanger the safety or property of another.
(3) The term "roller skate" shall mean a manufactured or assembled device consisting of a frame or shoe having clamps or straps or both for fastening, with a pair of small wheels near the toe and another pair at the heel mounted or permanently attached thereto, for skating or gliding by means of human foot and leg power.
(4) The term "sidewalk" shall mean that portion of the street, whether paved or unpaved, between the curb lines or the lateral lines of a roadway and the adjacent property lines, intended for the use of pedestrians. Where it is not clear which section is intended for the use of pedestrians the sidewalk will be deemed to be that portion of the street between the building line and the curb.
(5) The term "skateboard" shall mean a device consisting of a platform, usually curved upwards at each end, to which are mounted or permanently attached two swiveling frames, each of which is used to support and guide a pair of small wheels, which device glides or is propelled by means of human foot or leg power.
b. No person shall engage in the reckless operation of roller skates, in-line skates or a skateboard.
c. A violation of subdivision b of this section shall be a traffic infraction and shall be punishable in accordance with section 1800 of the vehicle and traffic law. Any person who is found guilty of the reckless operation of roller skates, in-line skates or a skateboard shall be subject to a fine of not less than fifty dollars nor more than one hundred dollars.
d. The provisions of this section shall be enforced by the department, the police department and the department of parks and recreation.
2. This local law shall take effect sixty days after its enactment into law.